Knowing self-defense is always an important skill to acquire. If there is ever a situation that someone tries to seriously cause harm, self-defense is necessary to protect yourself. Some prefer to use guns, tasers or knives and others do martial arts but carrying a simple can of pepper spray is definitely effective as well. Pepper spray is possibly the cheapest and simplest way to protect yourself in a time of need.
How does pepper spray work?
Pepper spray is actually made from peppers as the name suggests. OC (oleoresin capsicum) is extracted from peppers such as jalapeno, chili and cayenne. The ingredient Capsaicin is made from the OC and this is the active ingredient in the sprays. When sprayed directly in the eyes or face, pepper spray can cause coughing, choking, temporary blindness and nausea. Whoever is on the receiving end will instinctively shut their eyes immediately after the spray makes contact. The pain is excruciating and while some people may rub their eyes, the stinging is usually only intensified by this.
How do I use pepper spray?
Before making your first purchase, you must know how to properly and quickly wield pepper spray. There are training courses available to educate and give tips to use these sprays. There are 5 different types of sprays are on the market so speaking to a professional can help you choose the best one for you.
- Pepper Spray Fogger: These have a range of 4-8 feet but are not effective in windy conditions.
- Pepper Spray Stream: A range of 15-20 feet can be covered and it is effective in windy conditions. If indoors, there is a risk of also being affected by the spray.
- Pepper Spray Gel: These sprays have a range of 25 feet and stick to the attacker so there is no splatter ensuring it won’t affect you even while indoors.
- Pepper Spray Foam: These coat the face of the attacker also making it ideal for indoor use and the foam has a range of 6-8 feet.
- Cone: The advantage of this type of pepper spray is that perfect aim is not necessary. When sprayed a cloud 2 feet in diameter is produced to cloud the attacker. The spray has a range of 8 feet in distance.
What to consider before buying pepper spray? Examine your reasons for buying it. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the top recommended pepper sprays so that in a situation where it needs to be used you are not fumbling. Additionally, you will need to keep it in very easy reach at all times.
In general, being more ware of your surroundings will also prevent attacks since attackers many times prey on those who are not paying attention. Having pepper spray will not protect you from all attacks so preventative measures still need to be taken to ensure your safety.